- Fiber optic phone adapter providing secure transmission of telephone conversation over fiber optic link for up to 50 km (31 miles)
- Supports single mode and multimode fibers
- Available with laser diode option for extended ranges
- Supports both DTMF and pulse dialing
- Receives power from AC, DC power supply or on-board nickel-cadmium rechargeable battery
- Available in two versions:
- Subscriber unit compatible with any standard telephone set
- PBX unit for direct connection to PBX
- F-TEL, fiber optic telephone adapter, provides direct, secure fiber optic connection between any telephone set and a PBX, or between two telephone sets.
- F-TEL converts the electrical signals into optical signals. Two in-line units are required to complete a fiber link: a PBX unit (F-TEL/CO) for the PBX side and a subscriber unit (F-TEL/SUB) for the subscriber telephone set.
- F-TEL operates in two typical configurations:
- Telephone-to-PBX optical connection (subscriber to PBX)
- Telephone-to-telephone optical connection (subscriber to subscriber).
- F-TEL is designed to operate with several grades and sizes of fiber optic cable. Use of fiber optic cabling provides immunity to electrical interference such as EMI and RFI.
- Three optical interfaces are available:
- 850 nm wavelength for multimode fiber
- 1300 nm wavelength for single mode fiber
- Laser diode (1300 nm) for single mode fiber with extended operating range.
- The laser diode has an internal temperature control circuit to compensate for ambient temperature changes.
- F-TEL/SUB supports 20 Hz or 25 Hz ringing, as well as DTMF and pulse dialing to meet requirements of national carriers.
- As a backup to the standard AC or DC power supply, F-TEL can be powered via an external 9-12 VDC power supply or by an on-board nickel-cadmium rechargeable battery.
- LED status indicators are available on the front panel of both units for indicating the system status